Tradition has it that Thomas Davidson brought Methodism to the village that bears his family name about November 1844. The early church was known as Mount Wesley Chapel and it was in the Severn Circuit. In 1830, a group of Methodists who thought that laymen should be represented in the Methodist conferences, split off to form the Methodist Protestant Church. The question of slavery had also been a source of conflict and in 1844 the southern Methodists withdrew and formed the Methodist Episcopal Church, South. In November 1846 Thomas and Jane Davidson sold a piece of land to the trustees of the church on which to build a place of worship.
In 1858 Mt. Wesley Chapel was removed from the Severn Circuit and was placed on the newly-created South River Circuit, which was composed of then Mt. Tabor, Taylorsville (Riva); Piney Grove (Mayo) and Hope Chapel. The parsonage was to be located in Davidsonville. The church was rebuilt in 1883 upon the same location as the first Mt. Wesley, in what is now the cemetery. Early in the twentieth century it was seen that the new church was too small. In 1922 the trustees purchased a halfacre lot for the purpose of building a new church. The cornerstone was laid in 1924 and on Sunday, April 19, 1925,the Davidsonville Methodist Episcopal Church was consecrated.
Remodeling and additions have continued to be built as ministries grow. In the 1950's an educational building was added. In the 1990's Master Building Plans were drawn up that lead to the 2002 new educational unit with a social hall and kitchen. Today the Master Plan continues to be developed as our church grows needing additional education, offices and activity space. Recently, after a microburst in 2011 damaged a significant portion of the outdoor worship area, the Green Cathedral was completely renovated into the beautiful site it is today.